Looking for some fun in Santa Monica, CA or Atlanta, GA? Escape with your DB friends at one of our Spring Weekends for teens this April 27-29! Both will include exploring, hanging out with an awesome group of people and an inspirational speaker.
7th – 12th grade Christian Scientists and your friends of all faiths
Arrive: Friday, April 27 (evening)
Depart: Sunday, April 29 (afternoon)
See website for more details and flying info
|Santa Monica, CA
Hostelling International – Santa Monica
1436 2nd Street
Stone Mountain Inn
1000 Robert Lee Blvd.
Stone Mountain, GA
Contact Krista Capp,
DB Outreach Western Regional Manager, 303.376.7572 or email
Contact Lori Selby,
DB Outreach Eastern Regional Manager, 781.956.9035 or email
$150 – Register by April 20.
$10 Discount – Bring a friend new to DB and you both receive $10 off!
Financial aid is available for registration and flights! Don’t let cost keep you from being a part of one of these amazing weekends.
Sign up today! https://www.discoverybound.org
Upcoming DiscoveryBound Events
Mark your calendars for these other great DB activities:
- DB Compass program registration opens April 2: Year-round program for CS teens in 10th-12th grade – Details
- DB Outreach Family Campout at Jetty Park: Cape Canaveral, FL, April 13-15, 2018 – Details
- DB Outreach National Annual Weekend: Boston, MA, August 9-12, 2018, registration opens April 2 – Details
The Christian Science Committee for Institutional Work in Texas
Date: January 15, 2018
Subject: 2017 Year End Report
To: The Christian Science Branch Churches and Societies in Texas
Thank you all for your dedicated support and participation in answering the call from those seeking salvation through the teachings, practice and understanding of Christian Science.
Distribution Activity: The thirst for our Pastor and subscriptions to the publications is constant. Distribution results for 2017 from the State office are as follows:
- Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures – 90 English and 35 Spanish mailed; 260 provided to volunteers to distribute at lectures and chaplain visits
- Bibles – 68 English, 3 Spanish mailed
- The Christian Science Monitor – 45 facility & 182 one-year subscriptions for individuals; 183 donated copies distributed to the inmates from this office
- Christian Science Sentinel – 278 donated copies mailed from office; 129 subscriptions
- Herald of Christian Science – 96 mailed from office
- myBibleLesson – 600 subscriptions through bulk license; 440 weekly recipients – 160 copies are mailed to volunteer chaplains
- 149 new requests to be added to the Bible lesson mailing list. 154 names were removed
- Spanish Full Text edition – 218 mailed – began with 12 recipients, now have 23 recipients
- 750 Thanksgiving lessons
- Letters from this office to inmates – 1,214
- 6 new members of The Mother Church
2017 Annual Meeting: We’re so grateful to have had Chaplain (Colonel) Janet Yarlott Horton US Army (Retired) inspire us with her experiences and heart felt prayers. Everyone can listen to her comments and the reports given the first half of the meeting on the New Braunfels Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/firstchurchcsnb/videos/506317483049371/ Begin at 8 minutes
Here is your new State Committee:
- Chair – Eleanor Bigbie – East At Large Member – thru 2019
- Vice Chair – George Nutwell – Houston Zone – thru 2019
- Suzanne Davis – Austin Zone – thru 2020
- Hal Shrewsbury, CS – San Antonio Zone -thru 2020
- Patty Woodard, CS – DFW Zone – thru 2018
- Shellie Evans – West At Large Member – thru 2018
San Antonio Zone
- Two chaplains visit the Bexar County Jail twice a month to conduct a Bible study class and introduction to Christian Science. 30 or more men fill the room to capacity every time.
- First Church San Antonio and area volunteers have been faithfully providing services at Lackland Air Force base for 25 years!
- The Applewhite Substance Abuse Training Facility has a very active volunteer who provided 50 Bible classes to 219 individuals, giving away 26 Bibles and 15 Science and Health.
- The Laurel Ridge Treatment Center volunteer conducts Bible classes for the Wounded Warrior program at the facility. 60 attendees participated in classes this year. 4 Bibles and 1 Science and Health were given away.
- 22 youngsters at the Bexar County Juvenile Detention Center have participated in Bible classes offered by the volunteer. 2 Bibles and 1 copy of Science and Health were given away.
- 37 church services, complete with music, were conducted at the Torres Unit in Hondo by the New Braunfels branch volunteers providing 13 Science and Health, 2 of which were Spanish, 4 Prose Works, and 3 Bibles. While three of the regular attendees have been transferred, six new men have joined the dedicated group. Two church members also provide spiritual support through the mail with letters and articles.
- Eight volunteers serve in this highly populated zone with chaplain visits at Harris County Jail and state prison units, church services at 4 prison units and letter writing.
- The Huntsville Unit formerly known as the Walls Unit receives bi-weekly services on Saturday morning when a volunteer is available. The Ramsey Unit has weekly services on Sunday night at 6 p.m. The Wynne Unit has weekly chaplain visits on Tuesday afternoon. The Estelle Unit has bi-weekly services on Saturday afternoon.
- The chaplain visits at the Harris County Jail have reached over 2,400 people. 427 Science and Health, 470 Bibles, 1200 myBibleLesson, 849 Christian Science Sentinel, and 160 copies of The Christian Science Monitor were distributed by the volunteers, as well as Prose Works, Manuals, Hymnals and many other Reading Room items.
- They report, “Over 100 inmates in the Houston area are receiving and studying the weekly myBibleLesson. Some of them are also receiving periodicals and other Christian Science books. This group, for us, really represents a new congregation in our community. While some may be disappointed that churches have closed the past few years, it is clear from our work that new ones are appearing.”
- 20 volunteers provide 18 services per month at five facilities: state units, Coffield and Michael; federal units, Seagoville and FMC Carswell; services at two locations and chaplain visits at Dallas County Jail; and literature at the Denton County Jail.
- The Coffield Unit volunteers held their 4th Annual Thanksgiving service with 125 inmates in attendance. The testimony portion of the service was filled with heartfelt gratitude and healing.
- Nine lectures were given in the zone in 2017. “Lectures are one of the keys to the success that we are having in the DFW zone” wrote volunteer Bob Woodard.
- Three volunteers mentor through the mail.
- Volunteers from 1st and 3rd Church, Austin continue to support of the Gardner-Betts Juvenile unit. One volunteer is available to visit the females in the local state facilities. The branch members in this zone provide constant metaphysical support for all the work going on throughout the state.
At Large areas
- Abilene, McAllen and Lubbock members are answering letters and embracing the seekers drawn to reach out to them.
- Two wonderful ladies are volunteer chaplains at the El Paso County Jail.
Where We Serve: The Committee is in contact with individuals in 93 facilities throughout the state encompassing federal, state, and county jurisdictions!
- There are weekly church services at two Federal Units in the DFW zone.
- Four county facilities- Dallas, Harris, El Paso, and Bexar have weekly church services and/or chaplain visits.
- Facilities with large groups of offenders receiving the weekly Bible lessons.
- Coffield Unit in Tennessee Colony has 101 men – has weekly services.
- Michael Unit in Tennessee Colony has 43 men – has weekly services.
- Clements Unit in the Amarillo area has 21 men – needs volunteers.
- Ramsey 1 Unit in Rosharon has 12 men – has weekly services.
- In the Amarillo area the Neal Unit has 7 men – needs volunteers for new services.
- In the Beaumont area we have 16 men at the Stiles Unit and 10 at the Polunsky Unit. These Units need volunteers– would you consider reading the Lesson here?
- The Huntsville area facilities – Estelle 28, Huntsville 8, Eastham 7, Ellis 6 and Wynne 3.
- Additional volunteer chaplains in the Beaumont, Huntsville, and Amarillo communities.
- Your individual support! The per capita was set at $3.50 of the actual cost of $9.98 per member per month. We have budgeted for 600 subscriptions to myBibleLesson. The lesson’s subscription, printing, packaging and postage are a monthly expense of $2,973.00 or $35,674.00 for the year.
- We have committed to providing 200 Christian Science Monitor subscriptions and 135 Christian Science Sentinel subscriptions totaling $31,165.00 and need your help to do so.
Checks can be made payable to the committee and mailed to the Executive Secretary at the address below or you can contribute online thru Pay Pal at: https://christiansciencedallas.com/programs/outreach-to-prisons/
Thank you for your continued metaphysical and financial support of this statewide activity.
P.O. Box 1381
Roanoke, TX 76262
FREEDOM IS OURS NOW
Saturday, April 7th, 2018 • 11:00 am
LIVE TALK WITH
Patricia Woodard, C.S.
First Church of Christ, Scientist, NRH
This talk will explain how Christian Science shows the provable relevance of Jesus’ ministry in our lives today.
Patty will share examples proving how a clear view of our God-given wholeness releases us from burdens in our lives and causes us to soar.
SPONSORED BY: FIRST CHURCH OF CHRIST, SCIENTIST, NRH
7318 N.E. Loop 820, North Richland Hills, TX 76180
Child Care Provided
For More Information:
Every year, Tenacre Foundation, a Christian Science nursing organization in New Jersey, creates an inspirational calendar and sends it to Christian Science churches and societies. The theme for the 2019 calendar is the spiritual significance of child-likeness, so we invite you to create the art! This opportunity is open to all who were Sunday School student in 2017 or 2018.
We strongly encourage sending a good photocopy of your artwork instead of the original piece because we cannot guarantee return shipment. Please mail physical submissions to the address:
Att: G Bergeson – 2019 Calendars
PO Box 632
Princeton, NJ 08542
You may also submit your artwork digitally by emailing it to Genevieve Bergeson at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “2019 Calendar Art Submission” in the subject line. To be considered, digital submissions must have an image resolution of 300 dpi or greater.
Each student may submit one piece of art.
Submissions must be received by Friday June 1, 2018.
- Your name and address
- The name and email address of one of your parents or guardians
- Your email address ( if you have one)
- The name of your church / Sunday School
- If you are under age 14, a statement of your parent or guardian’s permission to submit your art. ( A sentence with a signature will suffice.)
By submitting your art, you (or your parent) give Tenacre permission to print, publish and otherwise display your artwork for the calendar and related purposes.
If you have any questions about this opportunity, you may contact Genevieve: email@example.com.
We are very excited to see your art!
Michael Fisher, President and CEO
Join us for a presentation about Camps Leelanau & Kohahna
Summer Camps Serving Christian Scientists in Beautiful Northern Michigan
Sunday, March 25, 2018 12:00 PM
Hosted by: Diane and Mike Holland
3834 Waldorft Circle
Dallas, Tx 75229
All are invited to learn about:
- Camps Leelanau & Kohahna,
- Family Camp
- Christian Science Military Weekend, Christian Science Men’s Weekend
- Harvest Weekend for Women
Lunch and snacks will be provided and the pool will be open so bring your swinsuits!
Please RSVP to Diane by emailing her at firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to seeing you soon!!